Welcome to the CeLTA Language School (CLS) at Michigan State University
Since 2002, the language departments at Michigan State University have offered community-based language and culture outreach programs on campus and at area schools. Our programming has expanded over the years to include a variety of programs for K-12 students as well as professional development opportunities for K-16 teachers. In 2008, we officially launched the CeLTA Language School (CLS) as part of the Center for Language Teaching Advancement (CeLTA). All programs are organized and conducted by MSU faculty members, graduate students, advanced undergraduate students, and community members.
Our mission is to raise global citizens who are competitive on the job market through demonstrated foreign language proficiency and with an appreciation for diversity and different cultures.
Our program goals are to:
- create awareness among schools and parents about the importance of early language acquisition and appreciation of other cultures;
- introduce and motivate children to language learning and achieve cultural awareness and at least minimal language proficiency;
- offer alternative learning and teaching opportunities;
- provide a training venue for pre- and in-service teachers and those who seek practical applications for their futures in foreign language teaching; and
- offer alternative ways to use language for community volunteers.
Online enrollment for our 2014 spring classes is now open. To view course listings, click on the Languages for Kids and/or High School Programs tab on the left.
Please note that we have a new enrollment system. You will need to create a new account and enter your child's information. This system will work for any outreach programs offered by the College of Arts and Letters.
Michigan State University’s German Program has been designated a German Center of Excellence by the American Association of Teachers of German, thanks in part to the German programs and opportunities offered by CeLTA Language School. Read more about this honor here: http://www.cal.msu.edu/german_program_distinction/